View Single Post
Old 05-23-2023, 03:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I recall 45 years ago driving my girlfriends a/c equipped '69 hardtop in the summer at the Jersey shore. It would blow so cold vapor blew out the vents. Later I had a '72 TA and it was charged with R12 and my girlfriends would complain about how cold it was inside the car. Now my '69 GTO convertible has a factory system I restored from new and used parts and a cycling clutch tube. It has R134. Its 'adequate' for here in Florida but not as good as I recall the old days. I have a couple dozen cans of R12 and 1 15lb tank; when I get the chance I'm going to have it switched back. It has the newer high efficiency condensor too. I had a '87 Cutlass with a R12 system that would have condensation running down the sides of the windows outside. When I had to switch it to R134 it was only cold when the car was moving. Any time sitting in traffic it would not so slowly get warm. Only one little thing to consider is the fins on the 'hamster wheel' fan get clogged with dirt and lessen efficiency over long periods.