View Single Post
Old 05-26-2023, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Pontiac View Post
I suppose it also depends on what you're operating as to what starter you need/want.

Like most of you, over the years I have run everything from original factory starters, heat shields and wraps, Napa "Gold" Solenoids, remote solenoids, mini high torque units, etc... All with varying degrees of success around stock manifolds, factory headers and traditional headers.

This may sound almost sacrilegious, but for my daily street driven (read, largely stock) 400/428/455 powered engines, I run the AutoZone DL 3555 units.

They are listed as a "premium remanufactured unit" on the website, but whatever they are doing now during a rebuild, it's quite impressive! They spin every bit as fast and strong as my mini starters do, and they seem to last forever. I live and operate them year round in the desert heat here in Phoenix, and have yet to have a complaint.

My 72 LeMans GT 455 has had one for 20,000+ miles now with no hint of a problem. I installed another one in my 71 GTO a month ago after the (unknown) unit on the car finally died. This new one spins even faster than the last one I bought, even in our 100 degree heat these days. The 74 Bonneville has had one for a few years now, and I'm planning yet another one for my 67 428 powered wagon soon as it's original unit is on its last legs.

They look and install just like the factory starters. They've recently gone up in price due to inflation ($80 now vs $60 a couple years ago), but still seems inexpensive to me for what you get.

Another benefit for me is I can always find one in stock at one of the stores in the metro area on any given day. That's important to me as I drive the cars all the time and don't like them to sit down for any length of time. Also, should I ever have an issue, I can take it back to AZ and likely get some amount of credit toward another one. Of course I haven't had to do that yet, which is another reminder why I'm happy.

Just throwing another idea in the ring. Hope that helps someone.
Mini starters spin the engine over slower than factory type. They are gear reduction.
I lost 20lbs in a compression test just going to a mini starter. But they start your engine great. Headers cook factory starters is the reason so many buy mini starters.