View Single Post
Old 06-02-2023, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Unlike direct drive, gear reduction starters use smaller, faster motors to rotate their gears in a roughly 4:1 ratio, which results in lower power consumption and higher torque. In applications gear reduction is used to increase speed. So yes they spin them faster.
Nope, its gear "reduction". For a gear reduction starter that has a 4-1 ratio, 4 turns of the electric motor to turn the starter drive one revolution the mini starter would have to operate at 5 times the RPM of the stock direct drive starter to actually spin the engine over faster.
Not happening.
Now I do not know the RPM of a stock GM starters motor or the RPM of a mini starters motor. But there are no free lunches dealing with electricity. A smaller, faster motor with the same current will have less torque. No way around that.
But that issue is taken care of with "gear reduction".
I deal with big 480 AC electric motors all the time. They usually are 1740 RPM. Some are 1400, a few special ones are 1200 RPM. But none are 5 times the difference in RPM.
I doubt DC motors are much different.
People just think their engine is spinning over faster because they hear the gear reduction making extra noise. Its a audio illusion.