View Single Post
Old 06-02-2023, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Your wrong!
Tell me how are you going to get around a 4-1 gear reduction ? By spinning it more than 4 times the OEM starters RPM, that is how.
That is a huge increase and not happening.
This is just like the difference in our direct drive starters in the old days and Mopar gear reduction starters. They made that extra noise, because there were extra gears involved spinning the engine over slower. But with more torque = gear reduction.
The only other option is flipping the gear reduction. One turn of the smaller electric motor turning and the gear drive turning over 4 times !
Not happening. No free lunches with electricity.
You know about as much about this stuff as picking out a high end solid roller cam for a stock block.
You know that cam you picked out for me with your fancy Vizard program ?
Well it is on its way to Bullet to get re ground. I will end up with a proven safe UD lobe, .435 so it will have little less lift.
I had a engine all put together. Valves lashed, oil pump primed, sealed up, painted.
Now the beautiful shaft rockers are in a plastic bag. Intake and valley cover are off. Press fit balancer off and timing cover in a bag. Front of the oil pan is open with rags in it.
Great.
That cam was bugging me so I called up Tim G at Bullet who re ground that cam you gave to me.
I gave him all the numbers, exact lobes and told him I was concerned about my lifter bores.
When I asked you if the cam you run was one of the cams that put the lifter bores at risk you said "no".
Tim G knows Pontiacs and has all the numbers and a formula for the aggressiveness of the lobes and how it relates to stock Pontiac block safety.
He call it "intensity factor". And the smaller the number the more risky the lobe is.
That Comp cam is like 2 clicks past lifter bore brace only territory. Is a real fast ramp and puts the block at risk. That sucker is kind of square when you look at it.
My idea was to run the best lobe I can for my situation but without putting the block at risk. And run a full lifter bore brace for my safety margin.
So I have a choice, risk it and run great but waiting for that moment it all goes bad.
Or put in a cam that is still a big cam but just below the risk territory. A new cam was 650 $ and the Comp cost me 450 $. I could buy a new one and try and sell the Comp, hassle. Or have him regrind the Comp, same events on the 112 but with lobes that are proven safe in a stock Pontiac block.
So that is what I will do.
You might want to learn more about big rollers and what is safe in a Pontiac block.
I did. Hey its my fault. Trusted the wrong guy.
Live and learn but I am not too happy about tearing into my beautiful fully assembled and painted engine.
You have a nice day Gach.
So Tim will re grind the cam for a couple hundred bucks and I can sleep at night. I will not even need new pushrods.

Last edited by Dragncar; 06-02-2023 at 05:28 PM.