View Single Post
Old 06-06-2022, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott65 View Post
So, I'll attempt to keep this explanation in order of the screenshots. I don't have the ability to put the photos inline( or the skills anyway) There will be two of the air density correction, and the reason requires a little detail, that may be relevant to you no matter whether you decide to tune the stock ecu or go stand alone.
The factory engineers put a lot of thought into the sensor arrangement and the location to take intake air from. Then they calibrate for that and it works well. We the hot rodders take either a factory engine and stick it in a different car(your case) or add efi to a car that never had it(my case). In either case, we've changed the factory engineering, or never had any in the first place and the air intake temps ( or MAT if you prefer) can be inconsistent, or inaccurate, or both. One of the air density tables I'm showing is the default table, and it's based on the Ideal Gas Law which covers the effects of changing air temps on air density(and other things, if you solve for different variables) Makes me once again wish I'd taken science more seriously... Anyway, if you have a well engineered system with accurate temps, and adequate airflow, you probably can run very close to the default curve. In my case( and many others doing retrofit stuff) the default curve doesn't play well, and you get lean conditions where it "should" be ok to have the curve leaning things out. And thus the reason for my curve having a slight "bell" shape as opposed to the default.
Also availe is MAT/CLT correction which corrects for low airflow high temps. I haven't messed with that much...

Baro correction is there, but needs to be tuned in actual conditions. I rarely go 100 miles away from sea level, so I don't mess with it. I use the feature that allows the sensor to compare pre start up MAP sensor reading and handle it internally. You can also add a second map sensor(1 bar) and constantly compare the two. Over my head, and unnecessary in my case...
I also have the ability to run a MAF sensor, but choose speed density instead. Hopefully this is helpful.
ETA: screenshot of menu where these options are
Interesting. I'm still trying to digest all of this stuff. I guess all of the throttle body setups are speed density?