Thread: solar energy
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2023, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
I'm playing with a single 325w panel and a 3000w battery. I'm getting as high as 85% of the rating. Not sure where the 20% number your coming up with. Following your written theory, my numbers wouldn't be possible.
I have played with 400 watt panels at a few voltages.
The Efficiency is NOT the % of what the panel is rated at producing..
The Efficiency is the Industry rating for its electricity production based on what its getting in heat and light from the Sun. So They are leaving 75% of available energy on the table.. Solar panels work BEST when cooler, and wire conducts better when its cooler as well. We install them in direct Sun though, so thats heat, which works against electricity production.
A Renogy 100w panel that makes 90 watts is pretty good. But its Not 90% Efficient. Panels are rapidly improving, and some are being made on a type of printing press, others being semi translucent and catching more light in other bands we don't see. These are much more efficient, and can get a lot more power in a much smaller size.
I have found some reflective foil and panels that can get power off the back side work the best of what we can get at this point.