View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
The 79 gave me more trouble with fuel starving (after engine upgrade) Than any Pontiac I've ever owned. Electric pusher helped a lot but it still happened at the worst possible times. More gas the tank had in it...the fuel starve happened more often.
Smog era tank vent does not let enough air in the tank for what gas is coming out at WOT. Fuel pump was pulling a vacuum in the tank. Worse when full (because of less air space) and fuel would cover the vent line making it harder to let air in.

Adding old school vent and vented cap stopped the vacuum in the tank that the fuel pump couldn't over power.

On your car...Vacuum in the tank would/could be pulling fuel out of the pump through the return line when you cut it off. The factory vent line can also get fuel in it when the tank is full.

A lot of cars, sitting parked, would actually flood the carbon canisters when conditions were right. Like cutting the car off right after fill-up on a hot day. A nasty wet carbon canister will barely let any air go back to the tank.

Just some past expierence with this
Clay
Interesting info to have! Thanks for posting this, I think it may be applicable to my problem.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/