View Single Post
Old 01-04-2024, 01:47 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
That is awesome. I have been halfway considering a centrifugal unit on my firebird. This would for sure be an option as well. Im just concerned that if I added 150 HP I would be past the limits of the stock 400 block.
Centrifugals are a good option as well. They do have very different boost characteristics as compared to twin screw blowers. Typically, centrifugals make their boost at a much higher RPM, with little boost down low where most street driving is done.

For a pure drag car, I think a centrifugal would be a better choice.

My goal with this project was to get a package that could be used on the street, fit under the hood, and make decent power even for a guy with unported cast iron smog heads and low compression. With this example, if you keep a sensible redline of 5500 RPM (or lower) you make all the power with cylinder pressure-not by revving it.

This is a lot easier on a stock block, and you can get respectable HP numbers and still get by with less than a full aftermarket block.

Not trying to say a forged bottom end and an aftermarket block aren’t an advantage- of course they are, but with modest boost, a sensible redline and the tight engine management that comes with sequential EFI, you can do a lot.

Here is a graph from Richard Holdner who probably dyno tests more blower motors than almost anybody, comparing boost curves from a twin screw (in this case a Kenne Bell) with a Vortec centrifugal.

Notice how flat the twin screw boost curve is across the range, and how little boost the centrifugal is making under 4000 RPM.

1969 GTO 467, Edelbrock 325 CFM, Terminator EFI
1969 Firebird Convertible
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darbikrash For This Useful Post: