View Single Post
Old 07-19-2021, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your intrepid pulley reporter has another installment in this "what color were the water pump pulleys on 1968 GTOs" thread.

First, here is a picture of the pulley I referenced in the post above. Look at the pulley grooves to see silver plating and some green/gold coloring also on the other groove.

Next, after leaving my mostly painted pulley in Evaporust over the weekend (i visited family in Chicago), I believe that this pulley was originally plated, not painted. The first clues were signs of plating at the water pump interface (backside of pulley) and under the fan spacer on the front side of the pulley). After rinsing off/wiping off what remained after sitting in this solution, the telltale signs of plating are on display UNDER The paint. It's more evident in person, but there is plating under the paint.

So...what do I concluded in my small sample? Each pulley was plated first, even if paint was applied later. I do not believe Pontiac would expend the time, effort and cost to first plate a pulley to then paint it afterwards.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8030.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	570080   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8039.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	570081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8040.jpg