View Single Post
Old 07-22-2021, 04:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Milner View Post
I had one that made a noise while the car was sitting there idling. I swapped in new bearings/needle bearings/thrust washers all throughout the transmission and it is quiet now. I would recommend giving this a try yourself if you have some mechanical ability, which it appears that you do. It's not all that difficult and could be done easily in a weekend if you already have it out.

The thrust washer that goes in between the tail housing and reverse gear should have a tang on it that fits in the groove of the tail housing. To me, it looks like the thrust washer did likely have a tang but it was not placed in the case with the tang in the groove and was spinning. There is also a thrust washer that is supposed to go in front of the idler gear inside of the case. If this was left out, there could have been some slack in the idler gear, which allowed the thrust washer that fits in the tail housing to come out of the groove and start spinning. This is just a guess but maybe they did not get the tang in the groove like they should have or left the washer out in the case and the thrust washer started spinning in the tail housing and it scarred the back of your gear up.
I may regret it in the future but I’m going to take a chance on not replacing the bearings for now and see what happens once it’s back together and filled with the proper amount of fluid. It’s quiet enough that you wouldn’t hear it I don’t think unless your were paying attention which gives me hope the sound was just not muffled like it would be if there was the proper amount of fluid. If not, I’ll pull it again in the future. It wasn’t all that difficult to get to this point.

The reverse thrust washer in the case is still there. I agree it looks like the reverse idler gear thrust washer I posted did have a tang. It’s entirely possible that shop slapped everything back together (for the third or fourth time by the end) quickly and didn’t orient it correctly. I think I’ve decided to replace the reverse idler gear and that thrust washer but I can’t find any washers yet. My feeling is, with the tang on the washer, the grooves in the case shouldn’t cause any issues that I can think of.