View Single Post
Old 04-22-2022, 06:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"When I see a street-driven car with no choke, I just automatically assume the carb is pig-rich at idle so that it'll start and run when cold."

+2...it would have to be....

With my 4781-2 Holley 850 DP or the Q-jet my engine would NOT start or run well in cool and cold weather without pumping it quite a bit then "feathering" the throttle to keep it running.

Even with a choke If I were to pull the vacuum hose from the vacuum advance with the engine on fast idle the RPM's drop off and the engine stalls when first started.

Didn't see it mentioned anyplace but a cold thermostat hurts thermal efficiency as well and requires more fuel/timing. I like to see these engines operate at least 180 degrees but still see folks running 160 degree stat's in them for some reason?

I also don't understand fouling plugs to a point where they need replaced. At most a good cleaning and you should be able to put them back in service. I use NGK V-power 7's and they last the life of the engine......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: