View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dick, look for my email on a related matter.

The Super Turbine used a Vac Modulator. The big car trannies did not have a Vac Modulator thru '64, but they started using the TH400 in '65. The GTO of course used the Super Turbine so always needed the Vac line.

Carl, no fair, I don't have such a car!

Your pic shows the Center Carb. Dist Vac hose connects to the nipple off the LH side. The plug stays in place unless you have A/C. Not the vac source for auto trans.

Go back to post #3, download the drawing that I posted.

I am 99.9% certain that it reflects exactly how vac was routed from a GTO Tripower to the Vac Modulator.

It is picked up from the LH outlet of the 3 way fitting at the rear of the Front Carb.

You would remove Item 16 Plug to install a hard line for the PB directly to that outlet. The PB vac pipe routes along the left side valve cover, terminates somewhere toward the back and then a vac hose connects from there to the booster check valve.

Usually, you will see the PB arrangement for the Man Trans only, which was connected in a somewhat different manner and used a differed PB vac pipe as a consequence. If a reproduction is offered, I believe it is the Man Trans setup only.

The modulator vac starts at the modulator with a short piece of vac hose. Then a long hard pipe (Item 1) runs up to the RH side of the Carbs, all the way to the front of the Front Carb, then loops around and finally connects to what is called the Vac Extension Pipe Assembly (Item 13) using a Threaded Sleeve Connector (Item 12). From there, a couple bits of hose, a short piece of pipe, and a Threaded Sleeve Nut connects it to the LH outlet of the 3 way fitting at the back of the Front Carb.

Threaded Sleeve fittings were easy and cheap fittings for connecting vac pipes. Pipes were not flared. Tighten the TS fitting and the pipe was held reasonably vac tight. Theoretically, they were also easy to disassemble, but a little corrosion and in short order, they were not coming off without destroying the pipe.

The toughest pieces to track down would be Item 1 (a correctly bent Vac Pipe, IIRC, it was specific to the '65 GTO, the bends and/or length of the one used for the big car somewhat different) and Item 13 (the Extension Pipe Assembly, somewhat easier to find because it was same for big car).

As you view the drawing (which is specific to the big car), note that they show the two different routings for the Vac Pipe, the one I described for the Tripower and the other that routes differently for a non-Tripower. You have to follow it carefully to understand what is being shown.

I too would love to see a complete original setup pic just for reference. But I'm not holding my breath, I have looked before for both the '64 & '65. Yet to come across one.