Thread: Compact Tractor
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2022, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thought I'd do an update on the Yanmar SA424. I've been using it as much as I can (bad weather) and it's been doing a great job. It is very capable for the size of the tractor. I've moved a LOT of logs with it to a central location or to the boiler so I can cut them up there instead of in the woods and having to go after them with a trailer. We had so much rain here it washed out the lower part of my driveway and I've had to move a lot of material to put it back in shape, plus clean out the ditches down at the main road that were filled with debris and allowing water to flow out on the road.

The only issue I've had was bending the "fingers" on the grapple. It has enough hydraulic force with the two cylinders on it that if you aren't squared up on a log or it's small enough to get between them and you clamp down to hard they will bend left or right. I straightened them back up yesterday and welded some 1" .093" wall chromoly tubing between them. I'm going to go ahead and well supports between the lowers as well out near the points as a precaution, using 1 1/2" tubing there. I should have that finished up today. The wheel weights finally showed up and went on yesterday.

They are calling for some nicer weather in the next few weeks so it's going to get a good workout. I'm going to order a couple loads of limestone for the driveway and if the ground dries up I'll get back on clearing the tops and making piles out of the logs........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3574.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	585027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3572.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	585028  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: