View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 09:22 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
I ran the Offy 5499 intake with 2-600 Holley's for quite a few years in the late 80's early 90's. 412 CID, Ported 62 heads and a Comp 288 Hyd Camshaft. In a 3700lb car with a 3.55 gear it ran 11.90's and could drive it anywhere. Replaced with a Doug Nash Tunnel Ram and the car ran 11.60's.
In my opinion it is not a bad intake with some work. Mine liked a 1" spacer under the carbs.
Good numbers for the size of the carbs, the cid of the engine, and cast iron #62 heads that maybe go 255-260 when ported well.

The runners are short and have a straight shot at each of the carb venturis/boosters of the dual quad system. Exactly what you want for performance. Carbs like strong booster signals.

I agree that longer runners are better for real street driving rpm points but the typical 4 bbl intakes are at least 1/2 the length (of what they should be for best torque rpm driving). See the picture of a proper longer runner intake on a Performance Engine, notice that the runners are at least twice as long as the typical Pontiac factory 4 bbl intake runners.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford Coyoteintake .jpg
Views:	53
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	522238  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 10-16-2019 at 09:33 AM.