View Single Post
Old 11-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How We Met Jim Wangers

It occurs to me that I haven't yet told you how we first met Jim Wangers, a very long time ago. I hadn't shared this yet because I wanted to make sure I did so in a way that paid him the appropriate amount of respect, as an icon of the era, that he deserves. I think I am ready to do so now.

I may have mentioned that my Dad had started to record his thoughts and recollections in a yellow legal pad. He made it through about 20 pages of handwritten notes, starting with the early 60's up through the end of 1963, before his passing. I was sitting here, re-reading those notes, when it occurred to me: why should I reconstruct and editorialize and summarize when it's already here in front of me? Perhaps I should let "him" tell this story in "his own" words...

So - here we go - "How we met Jim Wangers", as told by Van Seymore:
[my comments are in brackets - K]

"My first encounter with Royal was by accident. They came to Central Michigan Dragway [now Mid Michigan Motorplex, in Stanton Michigan] on the second or third Sunday in September of 1960. Wangers was fresh off his Stock Eliminator win at Detroit Dragway. On this Sunday they had the Maroon car 'Hot Chief 1' (the car that took Stock Eliminator), [Dick] Jesse's white automatic 'Hot Chief #2', and a blue car.

"At this time I was racing a Ford; it was the first 360 HP delivered in Michigan and at this time it had the three Holley two barrel set up on it and was running as a 375 HP (with a letter from Ford).

"Steve French was the Tech Director and flag man at Central and I knew how to read him. As time trials opened Jim brought the Hot Chief #1 to the line and I came up in the left lane in my car. Steve would look at the right lane and then the left, and when the person in the left lane nodded the flag came up. By knowing this I was gone and I don't think I beat Wangers as much as I startled him so bad he couldn't catch me, but he sure sailed by me at the end of the quarter.

"When we returned to the pits Frank [Rediker] and Jesse were laughing so hard they were almost rolling on the ground. Wangers sure didn't see any humor in it and he came over to where I was parked and said 'I bet you can't do that again!' I was feeling kind of cocky so I said 'Sure I can'. We lined up again, in the same lanes, and although I didn't beat him by as much I still got to the end of the quarter first.

"By now Frank and Dick were laughing so hard they could hardly stand it. Jim came back over to where we were parked and said 'You can't beat the blue car!'. He sure was right, it didn't matter if I knew the flagman or not, he beat me that run.

"Later, I asked Frank about the engine in the Blue car and his comment was 'it's not quite stock'. I never did find out what 'not quite stock' meant."

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 02-22-2018 at 09:46 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post: