View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's always the things you can't quite feel that might not be good for your engine. I checked out two distributors with Pertronix I conversions this week. First was out of a 66 GTO engine I'm rebuilding and when I ran the distributor up on the Sun machine the module was dropping different cylinders sporadically, and probably not often enough to be felt when driving. Checked the little rectangular weights in the wheel, clearance, and other areas but the module was just neglecting to fire every now and then. I had another distributor given to me with a Pertronix I conversion so I dug that out figuring I'd donate the module if it worked. No dropouts but every once in awhile a ghost firing would occur on one of the cylinders about 15 degrees before the actual signal. Coming up on a compression stroke is definitely not a good time to toss in extra spark. Checking things out didn't provide any solutions. I took time to swap parts between the two units until I was assured that the problem was in the modules and not in the magnet rings or elsewhere. Ordered out a Fast Xri and the ignition curve is now silky smooth all the way up.