View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Actually you don't even have to worry about rubbing block wear. The box doesn't care what the dwell is. As long as the points open and close that's all it cares about.
If the dwell (point gap) changes, then the timing will change. This takes away one of the advantages of going to a breakerless design. Resulting timing creep will cost fuel economy and performance which may not be so obvious. This is similar to what Lust4Speed pointed out in his post - the inconsistent timing trigger (seen on the distributor machine) of bad points or the Pertronix is hurting you even though you may not realize it. I think most people who claim Pertronix has served them well are judging it by the fact the engine "apparently" runs well.

Yes, you're right, the ECU or MSD doesn't care what the dwell is, assuming they are "edge-triggered" devices. But the timing drift issue remains. My plan is still to ditch the points even though they work perfectly because mine are high spring pressure (to get rpm) and try the FAST points trigger replacement when I get around to it.

Last edited by mback12000; 01-13-2020 at 08:51 PM.