View Single Post
Old 04-30-2022, 01:14 AM

Beautiful '69 SJ! Do you still have it?

Mine was a well-optioned car, with auto temperature control and power windows, but lacked the optional gauges found on the SJ. I obtained a hood tach but never got around to installing it before I let the car go. It was originally optioned with wheel covers, and I added Rally II wheels along the way. I also added a rear defogger. My best friend and I were into handling, so we added larger front sway bars (mine was a 1-1/8" from a junkyard SS396) and rear sway bars (mine was a 3/4" from an Olds 442). Those were nice upgrades that I will replicate next time around.

My trip down memory lane will have to be in a green '69 GP, but I'll definitely upgrade to the SJ and equip it with every available option from the time including the leather interior. I spotted the leather interior once in a used Grand Prix and fell in love with it. The engine will be a true Pontiac-architecture (but aluminum-block) 428 with aluminum round-port heads, possibly the Edelbrock offerings. It will look like the original engine except enthusiasts will spot the Ram Air IV-style round-port heads and exhaust manifolds right away.

My car also had a Turbo 400 automatic, like most of them, and I will enjoy a 6-speed the next time around. The console plate will be an extremely rare part to find. But then practically EVERYTHING will be super-rare.

Please let me know if you know of an available green "roller" or a modestly-priced car with decent body and interior.