View Single Post
Old 03-14-2023, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy 67 California Firebird Sprint engine swap

Well as some of you may know I purchased the Nice 67 California Sprint Firebird that was on BAT about 18 months ago, After fixing the inop rear brakes, I drove it around 10 hours before the engine went south. Not really a surprise as it did have 104,000 miles on it.
Last June on the way home from a friends Mod Meet, I noticed it was down on power, but still running well with over 35psi of oil pressure, and running at around 180F. So I continued to drive it home. On the exit rap of I-94, about 3 miles from my house it started smoking out the exhaust, looked blue. The car stalled at the light at the top of the ramp, and did not want to restart. When it did start it blew the cap off of the Oil fill tube! Denting the hood. And I limped it home smoking badly.
It took me about 6 months to get around to doing a compression check, and putting a boroscope down each of the cylinders. I found that the #6 plug was oil covered, the other 5 looked good, no coolant in the cylinders, but quite a bit of oil on the top of Pistons #4 & #6. The engine actually ran quite well, with no odd noises & the idle oil pressure was 25psi. So I let it warm up and did a Compression test. The resaults were #1-187, #2-183, #3-185, #4-125, #5-ZERO, #6-102. Rotted the engine to do a leak down test of the bad 3 cylinders, all would leak down in under 1 minute to 0psi, all the air was coming out of the oil fill tube. Looks like a rebuild, as I suspected.
So I traded a few spare parts to Rob at Woodland Motors for a good long block to put in the car while I rebuild the original engine. So last week I drained all the fluids. And started disconnecting things. Removed the Hood Tack and sent out for repair, removed the hood and drive shaft.
As you can see fro the before engine compartment picture there is a lot more going on under the hood than I am used to. Most of the 20 odd Sprint cars I have owned had power steering, and 1 had Power steering & A/C, but this is the 1st A.I.R equipped sprint I have owned, and it also has A/C & Power steering.
As you can see the long block needs a good cleaning & rattle can paint in the correct color. And the underside of the car is solid and original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Long Block 1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	608832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Long block 2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	608833   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine comp.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	608834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood tach off for rebuild.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	608835   Click image for larger version

Name:	underside 1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	608836  

78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to camerjeff For This Useful Post: