View Single Post
Old 03-26-2023, 11:16 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Since your assembled, easy solution isn't so easy. That one is big, I might re-set your gauge and just measure them all again. If consistent, then you really have 3 choices. 1. Measure your lifters and see if you "get lucky" and have 1 big one. It does happen. If your using high end lifters, like Jesel, they will make you an oversize one or a pair. Mass produced ones like Morel, I doubt it. 2. disassemble and drive the bushing out and put a new one in. 3. Run it and don't worry about it. It's not ideal and you will have some leakage. But I doubt it will be the cause of a failure on it's own. My guess, looking at your measurements, is the bushings were not honed to size. I bet they were just reamed and possibly a ball hone run through them for a finish. A flat stone rigid hone is really the only way to get really straight, consistent size on the bushings. Iron blocks especially, push the bushings all over the place when you drive them in. Aluminum blocks are a little easier. How do they look for out of round and taper?

MGARBLIK,

I must have checked the gauge against a my micrometer multiple times especially after I came across that one bore and freaked, then checked it another half dozen times to make sure I saw what I was seeing before me.

I haven't checked it for out-of-round or taper yet, but I'll get to that.

I don't see anything down inside the sleeves or into the block to restrict oil flow, so I'm assuming I'll have to use oil restricting pushrods.

I will check this out, but does Jesel actually make custom ordered diameter lifters??

Have you ever heard of anything like this situation before??

I haven't run this short block at all. If I can get a custom lifter I may go that route, but I know there's $$$$$ in that. Having to take apart a newly built short block is not what I really want to do, I but may have to face that fact. If I have to go that route, I'll have to call the engine builder and let him know what I found and drive it all the way back down south rather than having it shipped.