View Single Post
Old 03-29-2023, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

More or less, there ends up being places where the retarded cam will shine. But the bigger 041 cam will end up with more average power and max power. With the smaller cam retarded, it shifts the power higher at the expenses of some average power at lower RPMs, which on a 455 you won’t miss, and you will likely like how the 2802 runs in a 9.5 SCR 455 positioned close to “straight up”, but it will not match up to the bigger cams overall power. If matching up to the bigger cams overall performance is the goal, I think you would be disappointed. But, if the expectation is to just maximize the performance of the 2802 in a 455, and make a nice street engine, you will probably like the cam timing positioned more “straight up” in the 455.

I have 2 5.7 Hemi cars. One has VVT, but the cams are the close to the same. The VVT engine retards the cam timing on the top end for more total HP, similar to this 2802 in a 455 idea. It does work, but within reason….when I put a bigger cam in the older engine it is clearly became more powerful than the VVT. I would expect the same thing jumping between a 2802 and a 041.