View Single Post
Old 04-25-2023, 05:53 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Sweet. I'm going to have to try that out. Have you ever bench tested that method to see how well it holds? Are you using something to hold the two pieces together tightly? I assume the two work pieces have to be very clean.
If you can get that same heat signature on the back side of your second layer and some dull gray center, I can’t seem to tear them apart. I played around on some scrap to get it dialed in and be able to destruct it a bit afterwords. This was essentially 20g on top of 16ga so it might have been a little tougher to dial in as opposed to same on same layers. The beauty here was the repeatability and speed. Especially in tough to reach places. If your Lincoln TIG machine has a “spot” function you can use that timer to make it almost foolproof. If not just do a simple count when you figure out the “on” time.

This run of spot welds was the trunk floor to the tank support member. I just run an old scissor jack on the ground to a length of pipe that can hold upward pressure if needed, and sometimes a weight (dumbbell or old brake drum) inside the trunk. I’ll try it on the rest of this job but might need a pair of vice grips locked on either side of the spot when possible or a pair of those fabricated spot weld pliers might help.

To prep it was just my usual clean up with 3M purple Brsitle Brush and a wipe with Acetone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post: