View Single Post
Old 06-25-2016, 01:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Fyrffytr1, I know the agony of trying to get down under the dash. I need a day in bed after the ordeal. We are chasing the same rainbow on our AC's. My 65 is an original family owned car. The AC renovation I am currently doing is one of the last systems on the car that I have not done. This time, I had both inner and outer plenum boxes off the car. I replaced the two inner vacuum motors on the inside. One opens the defrost door and the other one controls two doors in tandem. It swings a door to divert the incoming air from the evaporator so it does not go to the heater core and at the same time opens the door to direct air to the AC outlets via a secondary plenum box that attaches to the front of the heater/AC plenum. The two doors are connected via a long rod on the top of the heater plenum box. The outer vacuum motor is on the blower plenum under the hood. It has 2 line connections. Both are easy to break off while rummaging under the hood. To replace it, you have to take the blower plenum box off. There are 5 studs with 1/4" nuts securing the under hood plenum to the firewall as well as 4 sheet metal bolts along the top. Two of the stud nuts are difficult to access. One upper one on the outer passenger side is right by the hood hinge. It can be accessed with the plastic duct that connects the blower output to the evaporator removed or in a pinch via a wrench down the small access space. The lower stud below this one is accessed via a hole in the fender well. I am not sure if the hole was there from the factory or if I made it myself at some time.