View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 04:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to 6x400gmc
Default Truck Updates

Just an update after about 5000 miles on the engine.

The truck runs better than I ever could have expected. Makes enough power to suit me, and gets 15.5mpg on the highway. I ran into oil filter clearance problems with the headers and switched to the caddy filter. I still can't shift past Drive due to the header on the left side, but I have a BOP TH400 that I'm going to install in place of the Chevy TH350 and I'll throw in a cable operated floor shifter along with.

Even with the stock three row Chevy Radiator, the 400 barely creeps above 195 while sitting dead still in Houston Traffic on a typical summer day. I drove her to south Louisiana last month ( 350 mile round trip ) and back for a job, with no problems what so ever. I never thought I would have gotten the gas mileage that I did, especially with 3.73's, no overdrive, and no functional lockup on the converter. I ran 65 the whole way and back, and the motor never broke a sweat.

It's awesome! I'd get up and drive this truck to California and back without a worry.

Also worth noting is that I'm running 3" exhaust from the headers to Moroso spiralflow racing mufflers. They're not as loud as you would think, and they have an awesome tone. The bed acts as a huge resonance chamber, so the sound is pretty thick and boomy.

Now - yesterday I picked up a running Y4 block 455 and transmission... What to do, what to do? Shall I leave the 400 in place?

Britt