View Single Post
Old 06-04-2021, 12:19 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
I cleaned the timing marker/pointer and found 1 line that the builder might have stamped on it (unless it came that way). I guess that would be zero mark. I disconnected the vacuum advance and plugged the line. I warmed the engine to normal operating temp, hooked up the digital timing light and my reading at idle 700 rpm was 16.3 before the lines would line up. I think I read that should be 8-10. Is that correct? If I am right I now need to repeat with 2500-3000 rpm and adjust distributor until timing light reads around 34-36. Please feel free to chime in with thoughts. Thanks
If you have more of a stock type of camshaft, probably start with setting the initial timing at 12 degrees with vacuum advance disconnected and the line plugged. Then if you want to check where your total timing is at, rev the engine and see where it ends up. If you just set the distributor by the total timing, it might end up that you will have too much or not enough initial timing.

If you don't feel that you are getting enough total timing, then you may need to modify the distributor to get where you want.

What kind of distributor are you running and what are the cam specs?