View Single Post
Old 05-31-2021, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Right out of the box the vast majority of the RAIV cams I've installed came in at 112-113ICL.

Knowing this I'll advance them 4 degrees on install.

Since this happens with the Melling, Crower, Crane and most others we've installed it is likely that the companies selling them simply "re-boxed" cams they bought from CMC, but that's just a guess on my part. It still matters not in the big scheme of things and it isn't going to make a lot of difference if you install the cam straight up or advance it. I saw pretty much the same ET and MPH at 109 and at 111ICL, probably because my Continental 10" converter flashes to 3500rpm's at the track with good traction. The ET and MPH was down a bit at 113ICL, but no more than about a tenth and less than 2mph. More important the car "felt" sluggish and a little "flat" right off idle there.

It felt "peppy" as mentioned at 107ICL for "normal" driving, so one would think it would pick up 60' and some short time numbers, but it did not. Once again with a converter that flashes to 3500-3600rpm's at the track pulling more power down to lower RPM"s didn't help anything and hurt ET/MPH simply because the engine is very quickly into the upper mid-range and top end power at the track and didn't like, want or need more "low end torque" to make the vehicle quicker.

I'd also mention that as with all the testing I've ever done the "butt meter" is not to be trusted, IF you drove the car with the cam at 107ICL you'd very quickly bet your next paycheck it would run quicker at the track instead of slower at every point, pretty much the same as any other part or parts I've tested that pull power down and/or narrow it up........FWIW......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),