View Single Post
Old 09-07-2021, 07:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastiresandoil View Post
No problems so far, no bottoming out or scraping of the chassis. I've had them on for about 4 years and have had a chance to settle in.
The springs were not listed for any specific vehicle when I was searching for them. I just knew the approx. spring rate I needed and went searching this way, not model specific.
Thanks for responding. I'm trying to figure out what to do for springs for my '69 convertible so this really helps me.
Stunning car btw! I really like the stance you have with those springs too.

When I acquired my car last year, it had what looked like fairly new springs installed in it. The engine was out of the car when I bought it.
When dismantling the entire car I noticed that the springs had the number 5386 stamped into them. That does correspond to a Moog number but I think there might be other manufacturers that use the same number system for the same spec spring as Moog. But they are probably Moog.

The Moog website does list the 5386 as the correct springs for a '68 GTO convertible with A/C. But they don't list any front coil springs for a '69. I can't figure out why they wouldn't be the same.

I am concerned my car will sit too high with these springs. I'm doing some modifications that will lighten the front. My car does have A/C, PDB and PS but I'm going to use an aluminum compressor. Also an aluminum intake manifold and an aluminum 2 core radiator. And, a mini starter. I'm guessing all that added up will be 100 or so pounds lighter up front than stock.

It seems like I should choose a spring with a lower load weight and or spring rate. Any advice you can give me?

Here's a list of Moog choices I put together in order of spring rate.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO