View Single Post
Old 10-27-2022, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
It appears to be crush-bent tubing, which I'd imagine is typical of what most small exhaust shops would do. You can see similar (though less pronounced) indentations just behind the mufflers and right where the tailpipes turn down before terminating. Not the end of the world.

First, thank you for turning the pictures! Yes the pipes begin as 10' straight pipe sections. A typical exhaust pipe bender holds the pipe in a fixed position and a movable die stretches the tube using hydraulic pressure. A bender in good condition can make a 45-60 degree bend without kinking it and retain a smooth path inside the pipe. More than that, you get an inside protrusion, (kink). A typical shop or pre-bent pipes from a supplier generally don't care and the pipes are kinked internally. This gentleman, Todd, was willing to use some mandrel bent pieces I provided to get over the axle, and weld them in 3 pieces to fit properly with no kinked tubes. Is it perfect?, no. It is also mild steel vs stainless which is even harder to bend without kinking. It also cost about 1/3 of what a full mandrel bent, stainless system would have cost. I couldn't find anyone in a 100 mile radius willing to build a complete welded mandrel bent stainless system for ANY price. Pretty happy with this for an occasional use street car.