Thread: Engine Mounts
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2023, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by importsmasher View Post
Dragging up an old post.....are you saying that a 75 LeMans would have the same frame brackets as a 74 Grand Am (both have Pontiac engines)?

Thanks,
Importsmasher
I went and checked the aftermarket motor mount catalogues, and 73-76 A body specify the same style rubber mount on the engine leading me to believe that in 77 Pontiac Pontiac changed over to the clamshell style frame mount, with the stamped steel solid style engine mount, and the rubber was then in the frame portion of the mount. where the previous style had the rubber in the engine portion of the mount.

To answer the question you posed, 73-76 should use the same frame mount stands, and the same rubber engine mounts. In 77 there was a running change with a one year only style design. Just to be clear, I'm deducing this from the aftermarket motor mount parts catalogues. I don't any longer have the GM Pontiac parts books I once had, with the factory engineering drawings. Unfortuneatly my GM manuals got tossed out inadvertantly years ago. That's the best answer I can give according to the aftermarket parts lookups online. I can only look at their applications, per their catalogue information. If their information is correct, then yes 74 and 75 use the same mounting system. Grand Am and Lemans only differ in trim, the frames were the same.

I would also think that the same years of GP uses the same mounting system. The G, and A bodies shared most structural parts from 73-77 also. In 1971 GM started trying to standardize the parts across all their lines to cut engineering, and manufacturing costs. Lots of chassis parts interchange beginning in the early 70s. Since each division still had their own V8 engines, the engine mounting systems were still engine specific through 76.

Over the years I have owned 73,74, and 75 Pontiac A bodies, but it was in the 70s and early 80s. I can't accurately recall what style of mounts those 3 cars had, too many moons ago for my memory banks. I know the 73 G/A had the rubber on the engine side, but the other 2 years of cars I can only refer to what the aftermarket shows, which is 73-76 use one part number, and 77 uses a different part number.

I hope that information is of some help.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated