View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatboyjohnny View Post
Thanks Eric! I have some questions about the Super T-10 in your 67 I see in your profile. I'm curious to what shifter combo you used & if you are running a console? And if you're using a stock driveshaft? I think I've read the stock muncie or 2 speed shaft will work lengthwise if you switch to the proper yoke. Thanks again for the kind words, hope to post more progress soon.

Johnny
Johnny, I put the ST-10 in my 67 back in the mid 90's, so the details of the swap are a bit fuzzy, but here's what I can tell you for sure.

My car started life as a 3 speed, no console. By the time I bought the car in 1992, it had been converted to a Muncie M-20 with a console. It had a different Hurst shifter in it at that time (squared off handle), but I was able to find a correct round handle shifter along the way that I put in while the Muncie was still in the car. I had to work with the console mounting some to get it to cooperate without rubbing the shifter handle when going into reverse. I got it to work fine without rubbing, but the shifter still favored the left side of the opening in the console. That being said, I have not checked any of the numbers on my shifter, so I can't say with 100% certainty that it's a correct 67 console shifter. Nevertheless, it works/looks fine, and again, no rubbing.

Fast forward a few years, and the Muncie finally gave up, so that's when I put in the ST-10. The swap was very straightforward, and I don't recall needing to modify anything. But yes, you are correct about the driveshaft. It requires the Turbo 400 yoke on the output, but it's still the same length driveshaft that I was using when the Muncie was in the car.

Hope that helps!

'74 Bonneville 4dr Sedan (455/TH400/2.93 open)
'72 LeMans GT (455/M-13/3.23 [8.5"] posi)
'71 GTO Hardtop (400/TH400/3.07 12 bolt posi)
‘71 GTO Convertible (455HO/TH400/3.23 posi)
'67 GTO Coupe (455/ST-10/2.93 posi)
'67 Tempest Wagon (428/TH400/2.56 posi)

Deuteronomy 8:3