View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 08:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Axle issue

Today I mostly cleaned up the shop and organized parts.
I decided to remove the axle bearings from the axles that I had on the floor. It was the last thing I hadn't dismantled.

Not good news. At some point in the past life of this car, the d/s axle bearing had seized and it scored the axle. The bearing was replaced anyway. Once I split and removed the retaining ring, the bearing was loose on the axle. It also appears to me that this got very hot when that bearing failed.
You can see the smaller diameter on the axle where the bearing sits. Strange looking pits too:

Pretty sure that even though the bearing hadn't failed on the p/s axle, the owner at the time decided to replace that bearing too. It was an identical part. The mechanic didn't do a great job as you can see the mark he made right in front of where the seal rides:

This axle is Ok to use though. But I can't in good conscience
use the other that had the seized bearing. I'd appreciate some advice here.
Look for a used original or buy a new aftermarket axle? Or replace both with new aftermarket axles? In all the cars I've had I've never had to replace an axle before so this is new territory for me.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO