View Single Post
Old 03-17-2024, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It was a good series. I need to watch again. I would have liked to see more attention to ground crew efforts as they seem like mechanical magicians to me, especially when they turned planes around in 24 hours or less. i thought BOB was better, then I thought, no.. my memory was no good, so then I went back and watched 2 episodes. The d-day episode and the one following that. Nope my memory was good. Those were exceptional. I'm getting ready to do my second Stephen Ambrose tour in the fall. Starting in Sicily and following the advance through Italy and ending in Rome. In 2017 I had the chance to do the Band of Brothers trip with Stephen Ambrose tours. Our guide had made the trip with several of the veterans on Easy on prior trips, so he had first hand information. By 2017, most of the guys had passed, but when he spoke to them, he was often brought to tears. At every American cemetery that held Easy company members, we placed flowers at the grave sites. We had the fortune to have a fellow on the tour who was of WW2 age with us, and even at the age of 91, he was a rock. He didn't get to go overseas till after the war was over as part of the occupying force in Japan. When we went to Bastogne, he called up his brother who had fought there. That was neat to hear them speak. We stopped at a German cemetery in the Netherlands. It was in poor condition, but I get that because no one wants to honor the dead of the oppressor. I read more than a few grave stones. Most were under the age of 25. If you hadn't heard about it, every American grave in the Netherlands has been adopted. It is a badge of honor among the Dutch and we were told that in divorce proceedings, they fight over who keeps it. The curators over the years have gathered information on the deceased including pictures. One day per year in the spring, they display all the artifacts at the grave site, and school children take a field trip to see how war affects lives. We weren't there for that, but i do remember a teacher from England with his class on a field trip there. It seems like WW2 was last year. I guess that with their long history of existence, 80 years is very short.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andre For This Useful Post: