View Single Post
Old 05-22-2023, 01:09 AM

Got the engine in and headers installed today. I can confirm Doug's Headers D521 do fit a 66 Bonneville with column shift. Worst part of the install was getting the dipstick bent to clear. This is due to Edelbrock heads though more than the Headers. With stock heads I probably would have been fine.

Luckily I had the engine out to get the dipstick tube aligned. I installed the headers after putting the engine in the car. They sit close to the steering gear, but I did not have to modify or clearance anything. I tested everything before pulling the engine and it looked like transmission cooler lines would need to be re routed. I have not checked those yet.

I bought a GTO exhaust as a starting point, but I'm not sure it's going to help much. I did mock up some bends to get past the transmission cross member and think I can make it work, but it will be tight. I'm debating if I should just take the car to an exhaust shop, but it's hard to pass up an opportunity to practice Tig welding a stainless exhaust.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alizar For This Useful Post: