View Single Post
Old 06-21-2020, 05:14 PM
Senior Chief

Did I mention my ADD? So the engine bay is a little much so I figured I'd see how the paint cleans up. It looked pretty rough from sitting and shop rash. Its at least 12 year old single stage PPG BLACK. I bought it from a painter at a high end shop that I think just threw it together. So he could paint but didn't go all in and just laid down a very thin job to get it to look ok. Did the following:

- Cleaned with Adam's waterless wash the passenger side, mostly just garage dust on it.
- Clay barred. Again pretty quick car has maybe 5 to 600 miles on it in 10 years.
- Tried White finish pad and finish Menzerna polish...Looked OK but need more aggressive 2 stage polish.
- HIt it with an Orange cutting pad and Intensive Menzerna polish twice over.
- Hit it again with the finish and white pad.

Pretty happy with the results. I could get it better but its not a show car and with the paint as thin as it is and its the hardest paint I've ever tried to polish. I always wondered what people meant by hard and soft paints and now I know. I haven't messed with single stage single rubbing compounding and turtle waxing my dads 1959 el camino as a kid I am pretty happy with results although a little perplexing seeing all the black paint on pads!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door_before.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	542942   Click image for larger version

Name:	door_after2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	542943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door_after1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	542944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Door_reflection.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	542945  

1973 Firebird, Formula hood, 466 roller cam, ported heads, T56, Hotchkis springs, Koni shocks, DSE Subframe connecters, PTFB upper a arms, re-enforced lowers with global west delrim bushings, C5 brakes front and rear, 18 inch Boss 338 wheels, 4th gen TA power seats seats, Morris seatbelts, hydrotech hydroboost, speed hut gauges
1973 Formula 4spd long term project