View Single Post
Old 04-07-2022, 10:43 PM

Default Replacing original Q-Jet with new Holley 4160 in stock 71 GP

Getting ready to replace the original Rochester Products Quadrajet which has given me nothing but problems. I've had 2 73 GPs and 2 71 GPs, the first 73 being my 1st car I ever bought when I was 17 (40 Years Ago !).
All but one (My 1st 71) had the original Q Jet carbs and all have been problematic due to inherent design defects. Have never been able to get a easy and reliable cold start, which leads to excessive cranking, needing to feed more gas into an already open choke which results in blow-by oil & gas fouling the plugs.
The 1st 71 had a Holley carb, and it ran flawlessly ! On the new 71 I have an HEI ignition which helps keep the plugs clear, but still need to get easy cold starts to avoid the problem altogether. The New Holley 4160 requires use of a 3/4 inch Aluminum adapter plate for the square flange - spread bore intake manifold.
My mechanic has looked at it and questions if their will be any clearance or fitment issues, but still thinks it should fit.
Has anyone using Holley (or Edelbrock) carbs had any clearance issues? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks