Thread: Torque?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

80 is plenty sufficient, 100 isn't too much. Anywhere in between 80 to 100 will work. I personally torque my alloy factory wheels at 80, they won't fall off, nor break the wheel studs at any setting in between 80 to 100.

For may years they were put on cars anytime the wheel needed to come off the car for service with an impact wrench. No one ever laid a torque wrench on them. When front wheel drive cars made their debut (1980 ish) the rotors had been lightened substantially and would warp fairly easily when overtightened. This was when many techs started figuring out that the heavy handed way they were accustomed to of installing lug nuts with only a impact wrench wasn't going to cut it, as they were damaging the brake rotors from overtightening them.

On a RWD car before 1980 the rotors are plenty substantial that if overtightened they usually won't warp, so in the case of a second gen T/A it's not critical and 80-100 will work all day long. On this particular car we're discussing, it could easily be called 80-100 Ft Lbs. If you want to split the difference and use 90, you'll be fine. Anywhere in between 80-100 won't do any damage to the car or wheel, and it won't loosen up, and fall off either.

I've put on 100s of the snowflake wheels during normal servicing and haven't had any problems as of yet. One thing to think about is, if you have a flat tire and install the spare along the road side, you won't have any way to check the torque value. You'll still reach your destination, with no damage to the car or wheel.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated