Thread: Hanging idle
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2022, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
I've seen Q-Jets where the throttle blades don't return to proper position because they're hanging-up on a gasket.

Worn throttle shaft bushings are known for screwing with idle speed problems, too.

When my Holley tri-power had erratic idle speed, the throttle blade screws were loose. I got lucky--they didn't actually come out, just loose enough that the blades moved around on the shaft.
I’ll check it out, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25stevem View Post
How are the motor mounts?
Yes I see that the car has been restored, but they can rip out anytime if they are defective and then in gear the motor rolls over and takes the slack out of the throttle cable.
Mounts were new less than 1000 miles ago, I sure don’t see the shaker moving around much. “In gear” doesn’t rally apply, it’s a manual car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhill86 View Post
I’m just taking a stab in the dark but what about the secondaries? Is the linkage attached and adjusted so they fully close when the primaries close? If not, could it be possible after driving/opening the secondaries they hang up slightly due to the vacuum signal through the carb? Shut the car off and spring tension is enough to pull them shut? Or even the secondary air flaps?

After this occurs, can you shut the engine down then re-fire it within seconds and it will return to its lower idle?
Yes, when it happens and it’s shut down, immediate restart will idle at the right speed. I haven’t messed with the carb other than adjusting choke and idle mixture since I got it from Quadrajet Power, so I would hope all the linkages are good, but I don’t know enough to really tell. I’ll have to get in there and poke around. Thanks!