View Single Post
Old 06-19-2021, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dick, any news on this? I don't have an LS4 but just curious.

Originally you mentioned the oil consumption was "normal" for an LS4. I would suggest it might be "common" but should not be expected as "normal".

Does your engine have Active Fuel Management with the displacement on demand lifters?

According to TSB stuff, GM suggested that excessive oil consumption can be a result of an oil spray discharged by the AFM relief valve. Under certain driving conditions and higher mileage (wear), this spray can result in piston ring deposits that result in excessive oil consumption.

Cleaning the pistons with proper use of upper cyl cleaner and installing a new design oil pan gasket that deflects the spray was to help resolve the oil consumption.

If it didn't, piston replacement might be indicated.

The low oil pressure in the LS4 seems commonly a result of a failed pickup tube o-ring and/or a weakened oil pump. The AFM screen getting crudded up is also a suspect but if you've checked it and replaced it or cleaned it and the code continues to be thrown I'd suspect the o-ring and may as well replace the pump at the same time to avoid doing the job twice.

Checking the actual pressure is certainly good advice before diving in but will likely confirm at least low idle pressure. And even if the pressure seems marginally acceptable, probably best to replace if you don't want to keep throwing the code.

The ticking might be a result of lifter issues and a consequence from the low oil pressure over time or just old age of the lifter(s).

Read this:

https://www.autoserviceprofessional....ifters-and-dtc

No special knowledge on my part and just curious if you've resolved the issue, always interested in learning!