View Single Post
Old 02-08-2023, 12:11 AM

Default 81 Firebird Engine Swap from a Buick V6 to a 350 Chevy

Hi All,

I'm looking for guidance on my planned engine swap. I have an '81 firebird, came with a 3.8L Buick V6 and a 200r4 tranny. I'm looking to keep it simple, and swap the 3.8L with a carbureted Chevy 350. I'm looking to keep the 200r4, and intend to rebuild it in time.

I know I'll need a new cooling system, engine mounts, exhaust manifold/dual exhaust system and maybe a BOP adaptor between the Chevy 350 and my 200r4...

I want to know what else I'll need for the swap basically. I'm having a shop do this, as I don't have the equipment for this type of job. I don't want to go in there looking like a fool and get grifted also...

Also I'm concerned about the rear gear ratio and if it'll be able to handle the extra torque. I'm not sure what my car has right now, as finding specs on the 81 V6 models is troublesome for some reason.

I'm looking at this blueprint engine. Its fully dressed with all accessories and such:
https://blueprintengines.com/product...-pulleys-black

If anyone could tell me their experience, recommendations, what additional work will need to be done, if my gear ratio in the rear can hold up, ballpark of costs and anything else I would appreciate it!