View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
"Part of the reason I’m in here was because the factory type pcv couldn’t keep up with high rpm, high vacuum cruise. I pushed out about every oil seal in the top-end on several long trips last year."

The PCV may not keep up if you simply have too much "blow-by" from the rings. The PCV system is simply designed to scavenge crankcase vapors and burn them in the engine vs venting them to the atmosphere. So it's really nothing more than a controlled leak at idle and light engine load.

If you are pushing out gaskets then the supply venting in the valve cover isn't enough indicating you have excessive blow-by past the rings. I've seen this before with a few engines that otherwise ran flawlessly in all areas. On in particular didn't really show any signs of blow by anyplace until you made a full throttle pass at the track with it or a long pull on the street at WOT. Every single time you attempted that deal it would "push" oil out of the valve cover and several times pushed out the rubber seal at the back of the oil pan. I even added a vent to the other valve cover and it still did it. After that we installed bungs in the headers and ran hoses from each valve cover to them and it still did it.

The cure ended up pulling the engine and replacing the rings.......FWIW.....
Yes, this is my assumption. The engine itself is closing in on 25 years old and the car sat in various state of dis-repair without the engine being attended to from 1998 to about 2013. Although when I had it open to do the top-end everything looked good, I've always wondered about the ring seal as a result.

The draft system theoretically provides enough ventilation for around 800 hp and I'm hoping it's a stop-gap to keep the engine sealed up and happy for another year or two before the engine gets redone.