View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 12:30 AM

Default post victory obligations at GM

When I started at GM in the 70's, I met a millwright who had started his apprenticeship in 45, just in time to enjoy the transition to peace time manufacturing.

His first job at the plant was to destroy, torch and bury more than half the Starrett, Browne & Sharpe, and Lufkin precision tools in the entire plant with special emphasis for the stuff new in the box. I was stunned at this cause I knew how much precision tools cost. "Why?" I asked.

It was because the precision tool manufacturers had surged their production at the War Department's request and since no one could predict how long WWII would last, the manufacturers made about a 50 year supply in 3 years with the stipulation that when Peace came the excess would be destroyed and not stockpiled otherwise the companies would go bankrupt for lack of a market and their highly skilled workers would be cast adrift.

The lesson from this is that the above listed production was the result of a large population of skilled workers, and general purpose machines and lines at the plants.

Once the plants acquired more specialized equipment and became more economic in their production facilities, they lost the ability to surge by converting to other products.

And the lack of skilledtrades of all kinds impedes the ability to convert from cars to tanks.

GM is short on the skills that are necessary. China prolly has plenty so watch out.

Regards
Citydesk175

=====================
There are 10 types of people in this world"
those who know binary and those who don't
========================