View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fellas -

Yeah, I know that most of these are cloned into GTO's. Haven't made up my mind yet. However, I do like the 68-69 GTO front end much more than the Lemans front end, and I do have a mostly complete Endura setup with hideaways.

I did take a step in the right (depending on your perspective) direction today - - removed the red GTO hood and put the Mayfair Maize Lemans hood back on it. It has a kink in it, but it still looks much better.

Anyway, I got it home today (almost ran me over getting it off the trailer by myself - 230# vs. 3,600# and I won - barely), cleaned it up a bit, but didn't get to do much work. I still have to figure out if it's numbers matching, what heads and block I have (has 350/2bbl w/single exhaust - my guess is that it's original), what transmission I have (figured TH350, but shifter only indicates two forward gears), what rear gear I have (3.08?), need to order PHS, etc, etc, etc.

Car sat for 4 years w/o tags in the prior owner's driveway. It seems to run ok, but has an intermittent issue with starting - sometimes I turn the key and get nothing - no click, nothing from the starter or solenoid, but the power stuff in the car works. Will have to chase that down. Does not appear to be a neutral safety switch issue. Brakes went from nonexistent to terrible to just plain bad. Figure some of the wheel cylinders are freeing up. Half of the master was empty, too, so it's got some air in the lines.

List of things to find:
Nice 15" Rally II's - complete set with or without good tires
Complete front disk brake setup w/lines, booster, spindles, etc.
Passenger fender - mine is tweaked/slightly crunched where it meets the bumper
Front valance - mine might be fixable, but have to take a better look at it.
Spare, jack, jack base.
Owner's manual

List of things to do:
Get brakes working - wheel cylinders freed up, bled, etc.
Change all fluids
Tune up
Figure out electrical problem
Get top working (goes down on its own but needs help going up - low on fluid?)
Fix exhaust leak
If I decide to keep the 350 for now, get 4bbl intake/Q-jet, 1.65 rockers, dual exhaust (assuming compression check shows that it's ok internally)
Ensure all lights are working
Lube suspension
Fix pinion seal leak
Only two power windows work; get other two working (hopefully contact cleaner in the switches will do the trick)
Flush fuel tank?
Front end aligned

Once all that is done, I'll see about finding a running 400 or 455 to drop in it, along with a TH400, replace the interior (pearl white, Legendary), new top (white), paint (Meridian Turquoise), etc.

Scott