View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default part 41 gotta start somewhere

a pontiac racer friend, who hereafter i'll refer tom as mb, got disgusted with bracket racing & decided to try dirt trackin. he decided to start with a '68 bird(which he later discovered was probably not the best choice) he was a good mechanic so he soon had it ready to race. he invited me to go watch him race. i had never been to a dirt race so i did'nt know what to expect. i was pleasantly surprized. these cars were loud & fast as they came roaring by, scratchin & clawin & slingin dirt everywhere. the track was a high banked red clay oval 1/4 mile around. the fast cars were runnin rite at the top, up close to what i later found out was called the cushion. the fastest car in mb's class was a white mustang with a 351 cleveland motor. it was screamin. sounded like 7000rpms or more. when he got to the turn he would hang his right rear tire against the cushion & in a flash he was headed back down the opposite straight. but wait, where's mb, he,s in the race too. i looked & there was poor mb. he was going really slow, compared to the mustang, & he was sliding back & forth, all over the track. it looked almost as if he was on ice. by the way, i just thought about it. the driver of that white mustang is the father of the boy that drove our modified last year. i wanted to know what mb had to say about the race when he got back to the pits. he said, the motor sounded o.k., but no traction at all. all he had was some real hard street tires with a few grooves cut across'em. well, i'd learned long ago from bracket racing, find out whats workin for the fast guys. so we eased on over to the mustang to see what he was using. the name was right there on the side, Dirt Bozz. we felt of the tread. it was soft as a drag slick & had plenty of grooves already in it. i already had a little speed shop, so i called around & found out that a place in ark called marsh racing tires sold the dirt bozz. so we got some headed our way. from that time on, mb's luck began to change.