View Single Post
Old 08-05-2022, 12:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a 62 Catalina that I bought from the original owner 21 years ago. The car was sold in Long Beach Ca. and just like the factory service manual says it has a Type 1 PCV system. The manual also shows the road draft system for other states.

Type 1 PCV system is an open type of system, meaning air is drawn into the crankcase through a breather cap on each valve cover. The left side valve covers breather is located toward the front of the car and directs air to the timing cover and crankcase, and the right side is located in the middle of the valve cover directs air to the back of the engine and down into the crankcase, and they are positioned this way to best take in air from the engine fan. The air then circulates back up to the lifter valley. In the lifter valley there is an oil separator, then the fumes go to a gromet in the valley pan which has the PCV valve and from the PVC valve to the intake. The reason they call it an open system is the breathers are open to the atmosphere and at WOT there is no engine vacuum and some blowby gasses can escape from the breathers.
I believe the closed type started in 1968, they eliminate the breathers and have a tube/hose connection from the rt valve cover to the air cleaner breather filter.