View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 07:22 PM

I will have to post up one of my most memorable races I have had, even though It is not in a Pontiac.

A little back history first though (on myself and the car)
I fight for the underdogs...While I am younger then most on here...(turn 25 in a month) and have always held a spot in my heart for old american muscle, I understand the sport compact trend (some of the aspects) and when I say I fight for the underdog, I really mean it, the one car (besides my GTO) I am modifying right now is my tempo...and not just any tempo, a GLS (the most expensive and rarest of them) the GLS (along with its brothers the XR5 and LTS) were a one year run of car that had a different suspension, body kit, rims then any other tempo...and was the first year the V6 5 speed combo was available. with being less then proably 2000 total of these cars, and most being junked, or beaten to death, there are not to many left. (my best run at the strip before I tore into it was a 14.7@94 with a 50 shot) and I forgot to mention the most importand part...I AM CHEAP!!! and I mean really cheap. the Time I just posted above was ran with less then $1000 into the car (thats with buying the car

But before I get to off subject, THE RACE..

I was at my local hangout spot that all the import guys hang out at....sitting around talking and just having a good time.....when these two guys start talking about running each other, amd with me being the type that wants to watch the good stuff I decide to follow them out of town. Before we even get 1 mile down the road, one of the fellows I am following gets pulled over for something small (either not having his lights on, or loud exhaust, etc...) with that he decides its a bad omen and takes off for the night...well, me not wanting to go back to the spot at that exact moment, decided to challenge the guy myself.....and then, of course I get the usuall laughing at the tempo, and then the guy says the one line I will always laugh at because of people's lack of imagination....I bet you a million dollars I will smoke your car....Of course, since I am more civilized, just tell him for the fun of it...

The car turns out to be a mid 90's Acura Integra, some mods but I guess not enough.....so we decide to finish what we both started out to do at the beginning, race....we finally reach the last light out of town, are both waiting for the light to turn green, revving out motors ready at the drop of a hat to let go of the clutch.... and when it finally does change....I instantly had a half a car by the time I got up to 20....and it basically keeps going like that, with me gaining distance with each passing moment. and by the time we reach, 85-90, where I let off, I had a good car and a 1/2 on him...(cause to me...when I reach the speed I do at the drag strip, I am done...I now my limits and don't want anyone else hurt from something that goes wrong)

So I pull into a parking lot to turn around, cause he was heading home anyways...and he ends up getting out of the car with eyes as wide as saucers....for the simple fact that his super high performance Acura got beat my a POS, beat up, good for nothing tempo....and that is one of the reasons I decided to modify it, while going fast is a rush, going fast is in something that was never meant to be feels even better

but i will also agree with a few on here.....its not just what you drive, its how well you can drive it.....just cause you have a 500 HP car, doesn't mean you know how to use all 500 HP.