View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 08:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the pictures. That's a nice looking engine. It looks like the intake manifold was made for a square bore carburetor as I don't see any adapter. It appears to be a double pumper 750 CFM carburetor. That is a nice piece and the jetting doesn't seem way out of line for your engine. There are a number of people on this forum who are much more qualified to comment on the specifics of that carb. or any 4150 style carb. than me. But nothing looks outrageous. In my opinion, not trying to be too critical, that carb is not the ideal piece for what you are doing with your car/engine. A big, heavy car, automatic transmission, low numeric gear ratio would run cleaner and probably have better throttle response and overall performance with a Quadrajet carburetor. The small primaries and a working choke system would start and warm-up cleaner, idle smoother and get noticeable better fuel mileage under light throttle and cruise. The Quadrajet with it's very sophisticated primary side metering just can't be matched by a Holley style jet/power valve only metering system IMO. Full throttle, you still have 750 CFM capability when called for. The design is just perfect for a street car, though not as attractive as a shiny dual bowl Holley. Your Quick Fuel carb without a choke and with mechanical secondaries would be excellent for a light car, stick shift and lots of rear end ratio. It is basically a competition carburetor slightly de-tuned for street use.

If you stay with that carburetor, replacing all the rubber parts and gaskets, should help it run better. If your compression tests come out good I would consider changing the intake manifold to a spread bore design with a really good Quadrajet before even thinking about overhauling the engine. I bet you could make that all happen without spending much $$ at all. Once your happy with the new induction system you can probably sell the intake and Holley to cover all the costs! Won't look quite as sexy, but will run great.