View Single Post
Old 07-15-2022, 05:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It can be challenging to get everything under stock covers but it can and will work if you have the correct components.

First you need to make sure that when set correctly you have at least five FULL turns with the locknuts. Anything less will not hold the strength of the parts.

You also have to make sure that the allen set screws are fully engaged in them.

The reason we run into so many issues these day is that many of the parts are non-standard. Heads, valve lengths, lifters, cam base circles, rocker arms, etc.

Not really a big deal you just have to take the steps to make things work. Sometimes you'll need to get longer studs or shim up the ones you have as well to get enough engagement with the locknuts. They make short ones, but I have a lathe here so can cut down the typical long varieties that show up with a lot of these aftermarket roller rocker arms.

Obtain the thick valve cover gaskets as well, I have a set here and they are listed for sale in "parts" on this Forum.

So the short version of events here is to establish correct geometry at the plunger depth you are looking for (hydraulic lifters). Obtain the correct length pushrods. Tighten down the locknuts where they are going to end up at. Make sure you have at least 5 full turns on them, see if the valve covers will fit. If you need to cut down the locknuts make sure you end up with clearance for the covers AND enough engagement with the set-screws at the same time. It's really not that complicated and once you come up with the correct length for the locknuts either cut them down or buy them.

I'll add here that even if you have a lathe they are very hard parts and difficult to cut down. I short-cut that deal by cutting them off with a high speed thin grinding wheel then facing them in the lathe afterwards. This reduces that operation to minutes........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: