Thread: Summit starter
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2022, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25stevem View Post
I used a factory starter on my super charged 455 for 20 years and the only issue I had was heat soak which a isolated Ford started solenoid took care of.
All my heat soak issues on all the first-gen GTO's I owned and worked on disappeared when I replaced the purple S wire from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid.

Mounting a Ford solenoid is a band-aid to high resistance in the S wire. And since the starter works fine with the Ford Solenoid, the starter itself never got heat soaked.

What happens is over time, resistance builds up internally in the S wire and it can no longer carry the current needed to kick the solenoid out when the system is hot. Resistance increases with heat, so when nothing happens when you hit the key on a hot re-start, it's no voltage TO the solenoid, not the solenoid. You can veryify by jumping the solenoid under the car.

Not meaning to rant here, but want to point out that Pontiac engineers had it pretty well figured out and the new super starters and band-aid solenoids are merely masking the real issue: 50 year old wiring with high resistance.