View Single Post
Old 08-08-2022, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Well you know your car better then anyone else put in at Zero and see what you come up with, see how much it advances. I’d be interested to see how much.
me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
The only thing those 3 keyway roller chain sets are good for is to practice my hook shot to the trash can over by the shop door. If you are going to run a bicycle chain on the front of your engine at least get one with billet sprockets and 9 keyways so you can accurately move the cam timing around........FWIW.......
What do you recommend? I thought those 9 key crank sprockets were terribly unreliable. I don't know what timing set this is, but I have been pretty impress with how tight it still is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Why not try using the 0.050" lift numbers on the cam card which Comp Cams said to use?

Stan
Because I have no idea how they got those numbers, LOL. The intake centerline method seems to be the preferred way of doing it from what I have found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
I think the Intake Opening event is subjective when going by Degree-wheel readings:
ILC from IO to IC gives a Measured result BUT, i think there needs to be a bias on the number so you know the ILC might effectively be an effectively advanced value above the measured value.
I always assume non-symmetric lobes.

While in there; Try for 2 types of ILCs based on "onset of Opening/closing, and 0.005" lift for ILC. Oh sure 0.050" values could be an3rd basis but not as defining the Idle result as 0.005".

Same goes for Exhaust ELC from EO to EC, but sooo less critical.

My last Cam Degree activity was fraught with looseness from every possible non-fixturing frustration. And the 14" dia degree wheel in 1* toothed increments magnified my lack of accuracy. I gave up and sold the ( Spare ) engine with explanation of the degree activity.
Was easier 40 to 30 years ago, when i was not sweating the precision details.
The only part of this activity that I questioned was finding TDC with the piston stop with the heads on. I don't know if piston rock would amount to much.

The other thing I followed was keeping all measurements in Clockwise rotation.

I found this cam timing test of interest to me. They went pretty extreme from -2 to +10. For me my concern would be possible detonation (Ping) issues if I were to go to advanced.
https://youtu.be/wimUgFd0Qkg