View Single Post
Old 08-09-2022, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
"What do you recommend? I thought those 9 key crank sprockets were terribly unreliable."

The Rollmaster 9 keyway set is DEAD NUTS on the money for moving the cam and on the upper end for quality with roller type timing sets. Those 3 keyway sets not so much. They are usually pretty close dot to dot at the "zero" keyway, but after that they can be all over the map for where you end up at from what I've seen here.

I've installed a number of Rollmaster sets in customers engines, they seem to be at the top of the pile and marketed by all the big Pontiac shops and used my most Pontiac engine "builders" from what I've seen.

For my engines I use the factory 3/4" wide stock Morse timing sets and offset cam keys if I need to move the cam.......

Well a walk through the archives to read up on Timing Chain has left my head spinning.

Mr Gasket is the only one that seems to still make crank keys anymore but only for (2) or (4) deg at the rank thus 4 or 8 at the cam. Didn't find any that were 1 deg.

Morse chains are on ebay but not the gears. And the non adjustable gearsets do no good if you cant find offset woodruff keys to use.

Sounds like double rollers stretch like crazy
Not sure if True rollers have the same issue.

Still trying to learn about chain types. There is a lot of terminology to sift through.

Many of the gear sets I looked at are unavailable.

With all that said I will just plane to set my own chain to strait up. Re-degree it and see where I end up.